Summer Food! (Mango-Avocado Shrimp w/Rice)

I'm a firm believer in the power of food. By "power," I also mean happiness. Contrary to popular belief, I believe that food is magical and has the ability to make anyone happy, in an instant. Especially if said sustenance is delicious; and, an added bonus if it's nutritious!

So last night, this hungry girl made an amazing, happy plate of Mango-Avocado Shrimp with Rice! When I found the recipe, I was so excited to try it, I went to the store that very day! It's truly the perfect summer meal. With its sweet and refreshing tastes of mango and avocado, your taste buds will run around screaming in happiness!

Here's to a summer plate full of happy foods!

Enjoy!

Shrimp With Avocado-Mango Salsa

Link to recipe: http://www.self.com/body/recipes/2011/06/shrimp-with-avocado-mango-salsa


Shrimp With Avocado-Mango Salsa recipe

In addition to being a great source of good-for-you fat, avocados are full of fiber and bloat-busting potassium.

 
Nutrition per serving
397 calories per serving
10 g fat (1 g saturated)
52 g carbs
8 g fiber
25 g protein
Quick/Speedy
Self approved

INGREDIENTS

Vegetable oil cooking spray
8 cups baby spinach
1 cup couscous
1 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1 large mango, peeled and diced
1 medium avocado, diced
1 medium tomato, diced
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped (I ended up not using this, as I don't like spicy foods too much)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

PREPARATION

Heat grill. Fold four 18-inch-long pieces of foil in half; unfold and coat inside with cooking spray. Place 2 cups spinach in center of 1 half of each piece of foil. Combine couscous with 1/4 cup water; divide evenly among packets, placing on top of spinach. Combine shrimp, 1/4 cup cilantro, oil and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl. Divide shrimp evenly among packets, placing next to couscous. Fold foil to close and crimp edges to seal; place on grill; close lid; cook until packets are fully puffed, 10 minutes. Combine remaining 1/4 cup cilantro with remaining 1/4 tsp salt, mango, avocado, tomato, onion, jalapeño and lime juice in a bowl. Carefully cut foil to open; stir contents; garnish with salsa before serving.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

linkie ♥

  • In Summer - Well, it seems I've neglected this blog just a tad. Honestly, I just never really paid much attention to it this past year- what with me getting a job, res...
    12 years ago
Blog contents © Cultivate Kindness 2010. Blogger Theme by NymFont.